[WikiEN-l] Deletion policy needed

Angela sloog77 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 22:39:34 UTC 2003

That is incredibly similar to what I just wrote on
[[Wikipedia talk:Votes for deletion]]. Repeated here
for those who prefer to discuss these things on the
list:

There are two choices - change the page or change the
policy.

1) Change the page - daily subpages, or split some
other way, like by what the problem is (we already
have copyvio and foreign split off, why not other
topics?)

2) Change the policy

*Reduce the waiting time (there is vast support for
this idea)

*Delete things after three days where no-one has
objected.

*Stop anyone with less than (for example) 200 edits
from commenting. This might get around the issue of a
huge number of supposed users voting whose only
contribution ever is to the VfD page, and once the
page is deleted or kept, that user is never heard of
again. I strongly believe ballot stuffign is becoming
a real problem here. Without it, there would be way
less discussion and a much smaller page.

*Stop attacking people who try to help on the page. I
don't deny that I have made controversial deletions,
but I am attacked for absolutely non-controversial
ones

*Give up on the idea of attaining consensus and set an
actual percentage of votes required to delete (75%
sounds good). This makes everything more clear-cut and
more people will be willing to take action if backed
up by a policy that isn't interpreted differently by
everyone reading it.

Angela