[WikiEN-l] Bannie donc partie

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 21:34:42 UTC 2003

From: "Poor, Edmund W" <Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com>
Subject: [WikiEN-l] Danger to the community

>The Mediator role account is a danger to the
community

>I worry intensely about how this "role account" got
>started, and where
>it's heading. Although the concept of mediation
sounds >very nice,
>please
>note that the person who conceived of it was banned
>for extremely
>anti-social on-line behavior: User:EntmootOfTrolls
(or >"EofT"). This
>user scares me more than any other user; I came close
>to putting an
>emergency 'block' on his account when he seemed to be
>physically
>threatening user:RK (the 'sharia law' remark sounded
>like a real
>threat,
>not at all akin to Rampton's obvious jest).

>It is this contradiction between the "nice" sound of
>the concept and
>the
>"nasty" character of its proponent that worries me so
>much. Given that
>EofT has caused so much heartache and fear in the
>past, I worry that
>this scheme could be some sort of trick to cause
>similar trouble in the
>future. I'm especially suspicious of the aspect of
>anonymity; at a
>minimum, I'd want the developers to keep an IP log of
>who's using the
>account at any time; but I worry that this won't be
>enough. I would
>feel
>somewhat better if I myself knew who the 'Mediator'
>was at all times,
>but that raises other issues and does not settle all
>my current
>concerns.

>Why can't people who want to mediate, simply do so
>under their own
>names? Or just create a dummy account and mediate
>under that (each with
>his own dummy account)? I worry that there's some
>trickery or treachery
>brewing: EofT is very smart, and he scares me. I
don't >like or trust
>what's happening now.

>Ed Poor, aka Uncle Ed

I can only put that in perspective with your reaction
to this idea, just a few days ago, Ed

You wrote

:I support this idea wholeheartedly. It is the answer
:to my prayers. (I have an idea about who the
anonymous :current mediator might be, but "further
deponent :sayeth not", heh heh.) --Uncle Ed 14:57, 10
Oct 2003 :(UTC)

I will be frank Ed, in the past 18 months I have been
there, I have been terribly trying to open my ears. To
all of you. To the cunctator a lot (he was there a lot
at that time), to Mav, to Toby, to Ec, to Martin, to
Erik, to you, and to many others (don't want to hurt
some I did not list); Some are considered very good
and trusted members of this

          , so are just more neutral. Others are
thought bad, if not dangerous.

I care about this, but I mostly care about ideas, and
when I read an idea I think hold interest, I am
willing to work on it.
When I realise, I am alone, or there are some powerful
forces against the idea, I usually gave up.

The other day, I read you were interested by the idea.
Ec obviously was interested as well. Alex criticized
it, but also admitted it was not in antagony with his
own proposal.

And several hinted that many points were bad. And I
agreed with that.

So, seing that at least 3 persons were interested in
pursuing the discussion on this idea (and this is
really on an idea), I thought it would be acceptable
to go on with this discussion.

I have often problems with lengthy discussions on
mailing list, because soon enough, we loose track of
others opinions; Perhaps no one ever noticed that I
usually rather quickly drop discussions when they get
lengthy, because I can't assume looooooog text very
well.

I thought it was best to go on discussing the matter
on wikipedia. Also, it is written no where that
discussion over meta option should ONLY happen on this
mailing list. Quite many discussions only occur on
wikipedia itself, and no one seems to complain about
that.

I can't help putting in perspective what you wrote the
idea day, and this so hurting mail and comment from
you here.

I am not very good at that, but I tend to like
mediating. When I proposed myself to Jimbo some two
weeks ago, mostly in case of issues with non-english
speakers (because I remember how good it was when some
people soothed me talking to me in french when I was
in conflict with RK), he did not dismissed me. Or so I
thought.

But usually I prefer mediating ideas rather than
people.

Today, I took most of the afternoon, not to mediate
between people, but to start mediation over ideas. I
thought that if there were two concepts, and at least
a minimum of people declaring themselves interested in
both concept, it might be beneficial by at least those
interested to remove all what was clearly
controversial in the idea, to clarify where the two
concepts were meeting, and where they were being
different. I had no idea this could be so scarry to
you, just discussing, removing the bad points, putting
in light the good one, not even as a proposition, but
just as a clean-up.

In short, you mention how much heartache EoT has
caused in the past. Do you have any idea of how much
heartache you caused me today ?
Because, if I did this, it was because YOU, EC and
perhaps Alex, are thinking of options. It was for you.
As I indicated both on the account today, and to
Martin yesterday, I intended it to be my last
participation over meta topic on en.
Last it indeed is.

Message: 3