[WikiEN-l] mad trolls

Stevertigo utilitymuffinresearch2 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 18:21:03 UTC 2003

--- sannse <sannse at delphiforums.com> wrote:

> Besides, I don't believe in effective on-line
> diagnosis (my psychiatrist
> can't get it right when I'm in the same room as
> him!).  Not every troll has
> some deep-seated psychological reason for their
> difficult nature - sometimes
> people are just jerks.

I will agree with you, and disagree also.  IANAP--
therefore any opinion of mine is NAPO-- It should not
be taken as such-- nor would such 'taking' be
supportable given the long history Common Sense Law.

Not to mention-- a "mentally ill" "diagnosis" should
not be taken pejoratively -- it may in fact be a very
NPOV term to use for people whose behaviour is
extremely irrational. Compare this to calling "jerks"
for example.  Theres a difference.  I may be a jerk
for calling someone "ill" but (judge the message not
the messenger) it does not change the fact that its
true (if its true). Don't depression, low SE, anxiety,
paranoia, fits of violence, etal also fall under MI?

I dont suggest using it as a catch all- I do suggest
that imposing some made up moral standard about the
propriety of its use would be far fetched.

~S~