[WikiEN-l] Louis Kyu Won Ryu

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Tue Oct 14 03:32:44 UTC 2003

Anthère wrote in part:

>Louis Kyu Won Ryu wrote:

>>Our favorite troll is raising Cain as User:Mediator.

>What does that mean Cain ?

"to raise Cain" = "to make a disagreeable disturbance;
to create trouble, uproar, or confusion" -- OED

"Cain" (or "the devil" or "hell" in the similar phrases, mutatis mutandis)
is the trouble or uproar that's being raised by the person in question.
If somebody raises Cain, that implies (to me) that there's a lot of shouting
going on as a result of what they said.

>But, again, two weight, two measures, right ?

Yes; RK was a respected contributor (by many people),
so he was given a lot of leniency for a long time.
People are saying that the contents of the posts are not the point;
but they are relevant de facto, even if not de jure.

Still, the bottom line is that Jimbo has been convinced by IP logs
that Mediator is the mutliply banned user EofT aka 142 (maybe aka 24);
and I'm sure that /this/ not-very-well-respected-at-all user
would have been banned, once discovered, whatever he'd written.
In the end, the content of Mediator's edits under /that/ name
served only to rouse suspicion in the first place.

-- Toby