[WikiEN-l] User names

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Mon Oct 13 13:33:34 UTC 2003

Maveric149 wrote:

>Changing a user name does not ban
>the user. Think of it as a dress code; the great majority of employers do not
>allow their employees to wear shirts expressing controversial opinions. Why?
>Because it is disruptive and creates divisiveness in the workplace.

No, it's because employers like to control their workers' lives in petty ways.
I think that we may have found the root of the Wikipedia "consensus"'s
recent authoritarian tendencies.

The employer says, "This is my business!  I own it!  You do what I say!"
The long-time Wikipedian says, "This is our encyclopaedia!  We own it!
You do what we say!"  (And given the "we", they pretend there's a consensus
when there isn't one, but only a majority.)

>LittleDan wrote:

>>and it's not like telling people "You have
>>to believe in Jesus, otherwise you're going
>>to go to hell".

>Funny, I get told that often by people who wear "Jesus is Lord!" t-shirts.

So you're judging JiL by these other people?
I would expect better of you, mav!
(Or if you aren't, then what was the relevance?)

-- Toby