[WikiEN-l] User names

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Mon Oct 13 13:15:58 UTC 2003

Maveric149 wrote:

>LittleDan wrote:

>>That's  bit broad, don't you think? Wikipedians are
>>allowed to have opinions. I see no reason why
>>usernames should be NPOV. I think this would be a
>>serious violation of freedom of speech.

>Sorry to burst your bubble but we ain't a fee speech forum. We have that pesky
>little NPOV policy to follow so we can't just write whatever we want in any
>way we want (sic free speech).

Very true; our NPOV policy, part of our foundation, is extremely important.

>Similarly, we cannot choose any username that
>suits our fancy - other people have to view it in page histories and on RC,
>so if the community doesn't like it then it must change.

What do you mean "similarly"?  This is a very different matter!
If the Wikipedia "consensus" starts forcing its opinions
on individual persons too much, then I for one will be leaving.
(Luckily it doesn't do this very much at all.)

I'm ashamed to see "if the community doesn't like it then it must change"
coming from such a respected member of the community --
it is the death knell of a community of individuals.

-- Toby