[WikiEN-l] User names

Matthew Woodcraft mattheww at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Sun Oct 12 13:28:01 UTC 2003

J. Noel Chiappa wrote:
> I really like Mav's analogy - and please note that the dress code he
> speaks of wasn't about collars, it was about "expressing
> controversial opinions".

Yes, you're right.

I wouldn't be too unhappy for a volunteer organisation to prohibit
wearing t-shirts with offensive messages (when representing the
organisation in public). 'Controversial opinions' goes further than I'm
comfortable with, though.

I also think that such a rule would lead us into feeding the trolls
still further. Though I suppose wherever we draw the line, some troll
will find a username which is nicely on top of it.

-M-