[WikiEN-l] User names

sannse sannse at delphiforums.com
Thu Oct 9 19:56:27 UTC 2003

Dante wrote:

> OK, this is the old argument from the Request for Adminship page...
>
> Can someone PLEASE explain to me what is offensive about that username? My
> Dog Ate God's Hat. It makes ABSOLUTELY no sense, sure, but offensive?
> Please...
>
> And don't complain about how some people could interpret it the other
> way... that other way also makes no sense and is grammatically shaky to
boot.

> Should we force JT not to use his nickname because some people might think
> the "fear" part of "fearÉIREANN" was the imperative mood of the verb
"fear"
> and an instruction that they should fear him? Please....

I didn't see the argument there, I only saw the short discussion on the
list.  But my answer would be:  the user name is /not/ "My Dog Ate God's
Hat", it's "Mydogategodshat".  I would have no objection to the first, the
second can easily be (mis?)read and IMO is rather offensive.

But, that said, I won't press the point further.  I understand that most
people /don't/ find it offensive, and my objection is not strong enough to
shout about.

Regards,

sannse

(p.s. I think I'm pretty looped tonight - please add into this message all
appropriate smiley faces, expressions of good intent and other signs of
non-argumentativeness (if that's a word) - Ta).