[WikiEN-l] Jeezis needs a name change

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 05:00:33 UTC 2003

From: Daniel Ehrenberg <littledanehren at yahoo.com>

--- Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Toby Bartels <toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu>
> wrote:
> > [Sent both to wikiEN-l and directly to mav.]
> > offensive as well?
> > Not to me. Although user:GayCommunist was neither
> gay
> nor a communist if I recall... He did it more or
> less
> for shock value, which may form cause for a name
> change.
> > > Or is it because [[User:Jesus is Lord!]] makes a
> > direct claim, so that [[User:Subject of Lord
> Jesus]]
> > > would be fine?
> > Bingo! It is a bad idea to allow bumper sticker
> messages as user names.
> > --mav

>That sounds completely arbitrary. I think all
>usernames should be allowed. How do usernames affect
>our development as an encyclopedia?
>LDan

I suppose "Jesus is Lord" is so horribly offending to
some, that just by the ***sight*** of the name, they
might be repelled and flee away from Wikipedia.

Perhaps setting a scale of offense would be good here.
  Calling people nazi was tolerated for months, but
just seeing "Jesus is Lord" in the RC is not.

Has a user already taken the name Nazi ?