[WikiEN-l] Anti-scientific bias has me hopping mad!

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 8 00:28:46 UTC 2003

--- "Poor, Edmund W" <Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com> wrote:
> I'm getting awfully tired of watching
> environmentalists inject their
> junk science POV into articles. They palm off their
> own prejudices as
> scientific fact far too glibly for me to remain
> patient any longer.

Junk science? Global warming is a mainstream view. You
can disagree with the science, but you can't call it
junk.

> We need to start cracking down on contributors who
> do this.
>
> I'm talking about the dozens of places in which
> environmentalist
> contributors keep inserting their unattributed claim
> that there is a
> CONSENSUS that supports their POV.

There *is* an almost complete majority, but perhaps
not a consensus. Your diffs make it seem like it's
split evenly between people who acknoledge and don't
acknoledge global warming.

> I'm talking about
> PhD scientists like
> William Connolley who insert statemnts like "Singer
> is wrong" into
> articles instead of NAMING the scientists who
> disagree with Singer and
> saying WHY they disagree.

Well, he's just a poor author.

> I've tried being cordial affable. I've tried
> patiently explaining NPOV.
> Nothing works. These advocates keep injecting their
> POV back into the
> articles, even using smear tactics against
> scientists who report
> findings which disagree with environmentalist POV.

Sounds like you're in an edit war. Maybe you should
lay off the article for a while while non-involved
parties fix the article.

I really see no POV in other people's revisions in the
article, but your revisions seem to be somewhat
against acknowledging global warming.

> I can't stop three dozen other contributors from
> injecting bias into the
> scientific articles relating to the environment. Not
> by myself -- not by
> slowly and patiently undoing each mistake and
> explaining it. I'm
> outnumbered and outgunned.

Did you ever think for just a moment that you could be
wrong?

> I'm going to start issuing official warnings to NPOV
> violators. If that
> doesn't slow them down, I'm going to suspend them --
> give them a
> temporary ban.

For that?  You're out of your mind!

> Jimbo keeps saying he's sorry to see me go and happy
> to see me back.
> Well, I call on him to back me up -- or fire me.
>
> Ed Poor (aka Uncle Ed)

What's with you and banning people you disagree with?
LDan