[WikiEN-l] Anti-scientific bias has me hopping mad!

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Tue Oct 7 21:57:43 UTC 2003

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>I'm getting awfully tired of watching environmentalists inject their
>junk science POV into articles. They palm off their own prejudices as
>scientific fact far too glibly for me to remain patient any longer.

While I can sympathize with some of this, I don't think it's any sort of
a special case.  Environmentalism versus its critics is an NPOV dispute,
much like Israel/Palestine, pro/anti War on Iraq, pro/anti abortion, and
so on.  We have a ton of NPOV disputes on Wikipedia pretty much
constantly, and I don't think there's a great solution to it other than
to hammer them out on a case by case basis.

That said, users on any subject who are consistently problematic should
be asked to tone things down.  But if we banned all partisans, we'd be
banning a good portion of our userbase (just banning all
Israel/Palestine partisans would probably take out 10-15 of our more
active contributors).

As for "issuing official warnings," how exactly are they official?  I
could issue "official warnings," but they'd still just be me personally
warning people.  As for suspending people, you *certainly* don't have
the authority to do that any more than I have the authority to suspend
you.  At this point I think only Jimbo has the authority to do anything
officially, and soon hopefully we'll have some committees set up to do
so as well.

-Mark