[WikiEN-l] TeX fixed

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Oct 6 23:55:04 UTC 2003

TeX should be working again on the English Wikipedia.

There were two problems:

* the code assumed that the rendered PNG files would be available if there
was an entry for an equation in the math table, but this assumption is
false when two web servers try to access one database. Some equations
therefore were rendered only on one server and missing on the other.

* the alias for the '/math' directory on pliny's www/en.wikipedia.org was
pointing towards the common math directory for the UTF-8 wikis, but it was
configured to dump rendered images into the Latin-1 common dir. So, new
equations that were rendered weren't being served out unless they were
also present on another non-Latin1 wiki.

I haven't checked in the code that checks for the image files to CVS just
yet, as I've got a couple of separate copies of the code to merge. It's
nothing real radical.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)