[WikiEN-l] Re: Copyrighted material on Wikipedia

user_Jamesday user_Jamesday at myrealbox.com
Sun Oct 5 16:12:48 UTC 2003

Martin,

Yes, there's a good reason it's being discussed here. While I can't currently read them again, as I recall them, the other articles discuss what to do if some Wikipedia user thinks that there is a possible infringement. If a copyright holder objects to something, that's a different situation and the time thresholds are short - less than 24 hours to "expeditiously" respond to a DMCA infringement complaint unless there's a willingness to risk losing that safe harbor. That's why the talk page for the article isn't the right place for this.

This discussion is producing material which can update the general GFDL permission request with form letters to handle cases where an author requests credit and perhaps where a DMCA takedown notice is received.

Once the Wikipedia is available again the talk page could handle any further discussion.

I'll add some suggested changes to the copyvio and GFDL articles when I an get to them. Then the usual process for those pages can handle sorting out what to do, off the list.