[WikiEN-l] [cynjus at earthlink.net: Copyrighted material on Wikipedia]

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 4 18:44:51 UTC 2003

>Dear sir,
>
>Some material that I hold copyright on has been copied
>in large pieces and included on the page
> http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_rank .
>
>This was originally written in 1998 and is on the web at
>http://users.sisna.com/justinb/cop.html .
>
>I do not want the page to be removed, but would ask my credit,
>by name only, to be associated with the article.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Justin T. Broderick
>Salt Lake City, Utah

I'm very sorry for that - we try to find and fix copyright violations as they
are created.

Thank you for giving us permission to use your text on our website, but your
message was unclear as to whether or not we could relicense your work under
terms of our license. See http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights

What that basically means is that anyone will be able to copy and modify the
text at http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_(rank) and distribute it in
any way they see fit - including commercially - so long as they pass those
same rights onto their downstream users and give credit to the top five
authors of the text (which would include you).

I've also included this reference in the article:

Reference
*Originally based on text by Justin T. Broderick, Salt Lake City, Utah. [1]
Used with permission. [2]

[1] is a link to your website and [2] is a link to Jimbo Wales' first email on
this issue.

Please edit the reference as you see fit here:
http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Commodore_(rank)&action=edit

Is all this OK? If not please say so and we will delete the article from our
database and replace it with a minimal "stub" article.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)