[WikiEN-l] More benefits of RK's bad behaivor

Brian Corr BCorr at NEAction.org
Sat Oct 4 02:49:11 UTC 2003

want to let people know that I came very -- *very* -- close to being one of
those people.

I don't think anyone should underestimate the power he has had to drive
people away -- or at the very least make them feel they are not welcome to
"edit this page." Whatever the outcomes of this situation with are, I hope
people will take my story into consideration as you decide.

A bit of history on me: I'm still pretty new to Wikipedia: I made my first
edits without registering in June
<http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Special:Contributions&target=63.186.64.79>,
and didn't get back to Wikipedia for a few months.

Then I was looking for some stuff on Google about Quebecois French, found
it (and a bad link), registered, made a few edits, wrote my first article
<http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereignty_association> and was feeling
good. My first significant edits to an existing article came ten days later
and were to <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence>, which
was listed on Pages needing attention. So I dived in, did my best to add a
bit of context about the nature of race without taking out what others had
said and making a few minor edits, e.g. ''Nazis" to "racists". I felt that
the article was pretty well coming from the POV that race was a "real"
difference between people and defined innate abilities, etc. So I did my
best to make it more balanced and really NPOV.

Well, almost immediately (2hrs) the bulk of my additions were reverted for
being POV by RK with these comments: "Removing a POV essay that is
polemical, and non-scientific. Removing incorrect intro. Race is NOT a new
topic or idea." (Here's the page history:
<http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Race_and_intelligence&action=history>.

I am stubborn enough (just ask Hephaestos about me and the Horace
Donisthorpe pages) and sure enough of myself that I was right that I did go
right back to the article and make changes to one sentence: I changed "In
recent years there have been a few theories as to why Ashkenazi Jews seem
to have higher intelligence and success than people in many other ethnic
groups." to "In recent years there have been a few theories as to why
Ashkenazi Jews have higher intelligence scores on standardized tests and
more economic and professional success in society than people in many other
ethnic groups." In large part, I think that single edit survived because I
had gone to RK's User page to see who this person was who trashed me
actually was, and I threw him a bone about Ashkenazi Jews in the comment to
my edit: "clarified statement on intelligence and success of Ashkenazim"

I still hadn't gone back to do work on this article -- which I feel it
desperately needs, since it reads like an apologia for the book *The Bell
Curve* -- because I didn't want to clash with this guy anymore. And I
hadn't  looked back at the history until I started constructing this
message -- because I'm still pissed about what he did. The lesson I learned
was not to edit "against" RK -- and it did feel like he was against me.
This article wasn't about Israel or Palestine, but it seems that for RK it
was about his race and why they did better, and he wasn't interested in
changing that. Also, if you look at the first edits he made --
<http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Race_and_intelligence&diff=1118114&oldid=1117288>
-- he was the first to add in phrases about African Americans scoring lower
on IQ tests. He also was very invested in the idea that race *is* not
rejected by most scientists, which I would argue is just incorrect.

So, why all this detail?  I was confronted by RK's rudeness and
unwillingness to try to edit what I had written, and when I looked at the
page history, I discovered that RK was actually the one who had added in
much of the material that I felt was most biased and was focused on
promoting the idea that race is a biological -- rather than a social --
reality. I know that that can be argued with, but that's exactly the point
-- it's an *opinion*, and RK was unwilling to look at it as such.

My sense is that I'm the exception rather than the rule -- I would guess
from what I've seen over the last month that it's not that common for
someone as new as me to start posting to the mailing list, VfD, etc.  I've
stuck it out, written a couple of articles I like (Black_Bottom,
United_Auto_Workers, and Urban_renewal) and empowered myself to join into
Wikipedia's administrative functions as if I belonged here.

And by the way, I'm an African American, and none of my interactions with
RK left me with the feeling that I and my ideas were very welcome in the
project, but I don't expect that people will defer to me on issues of race
because of that -- I think I have to make my case stand on its own merits
-- and I don't assume that RK is a racist because I think some of his views
on race are biased in my opinion. So I bit my lip and kept going. Again, I
think I'm most likely the exception in this.

As a new person, I don't feel like I have any standing to vote for or
against banning RK, but I will say that I will be far more likely to
contribute to articles on race and politics if I don't think that RK might
(will) revert my edits and deride my writing -- and me. And I think there
are probably many more people like me (if perhaps less outspoken) who
contribute to Wikipedia.

I also want to say since that brush with RK (as I've persevered) I've
gotten a good deal of positive feedback and constructive criticism on a
number of things from many of you on this list -- I wouldn't still be here
without that.

Thanks,
Brian (Bcorr)