[WikiEN-l] Two-edged Sword

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Oct 3 14:30:14 UTC 2003

>Stevertigo wrote:
>> Well for starters, how about if you, Jimbo. and you,
>> Ed, don't pamper and coddle people "like" him.
>
>Be careful, Stevertigo, that sword cuts in both directions.
>
>--Jimbo

If I repeat my offer from last year, will Steve or anyone else accept
it?

Make me a "lieutenant" or "sheriff" or "nursery school teacher",
and I will liberally apply "time-out" to anyone who breaks a
rule.

I'll use something like Andrew's graded system of
"consequences":

1. A friendly explanation or reminder.
2. A warning.
3. A unilateral temporary ban (length: anywhere from, say, 3 to
   24 hours)
4. An indefinite ban (to be resolved on the mailing list and/or
   by appeal to our Captain or Head Marshall, Jimbo Wales)

I keep proposing this every 6 months or so, but people keep
objecting that it will erode our freedom. Well, have you ever counted
the number of writers who LEAVE Wikipedia because they have NO FREEDOM
freedom to contribute in peace here?

I say we ought to try it out: say, for a 6-weeks trial period.

If it works, let's keep doing it. If it works but needs
refinement, let's tweak it. It if it doesn't work, let's stop
it.

But anything's better than having several dozen edit wars
simmering at a low boil, ready to erupt like volcanoes at a
moment's notice.

I say, let's give it a try.

Ed Poor