[WikiEN-l] WHO IS ANTI-SEMITIC?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Oct 2 18:45:29 UTC 2003

I read with interest RK's long quote from the Encyclopedia Judaica, from
which most parts have been snipped below.  There appears to be a common
tendency in many Jewish circles to muddle the concepts anti-semitic (or
anti-Jewish) with anti-Israel (or anti-Zionist).  In non-Jewish circles
the tendency is to consider these as two separate issues.  There is an
interesting contrast between the first and third paragraph of what I
have preserved.  In the first, "Older people tend to be more
anti-Semitic;" in the third, "...younger people are more likely to be
unfavorable to Israel."  Do others see a contradiction here?

The second quoted paragraph illustrates a transition in the article.
 What does Andrew Young's dismissal have to do with the other clearly
more extremist positions cited.  Young was dismissed because he took a
position contrary to the stated views of his government; that does not
justify extrapolating his act of meeting PLO officials into some form of
anti-semitism.  It is great that American blacks and Jews should find
common cause about problems in the United States, but how does one get
from that to the security of Israel just because it is "significant to
Jews".  It is irrelevant to the issue.  If it's relevant then so too is
the security of Liberia where blacks went to escape oppression just as
Jews went to Israel to escape oppression... but Liberia is right off the
radar screen.
Ec