[WikiEN-l] Re: Stevertigo should not be allowed to write about Jews

Brian Corr BCorr at NEAction.org
Wed Oct 1 18:58:29 UTC 2003

[Sorry about that lest email -- no html this time. Brian]

I've been trying to follow this, so I decided to "research" by looking at
the David Irving article Robert referred to. I'm new to the list, so I
don't know who's on it or what they know, but I want to weigh in with the
facts as I have found them (I know it's very long, but please read before
making any judgments). In short, I think that Richard has taken things out
of context  Therefore I've put in below:

1) a short part of Richard's email -- specifically what he says Stevertigo
says about Irving.
2) the link to the page history
3) the article before Stevertigo edited it
4) the article after, which was posted with the comment line: (This is a
minor edit of about 2000 words... Definitely in need of some edits...)

Thanks, Brian <http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Bcorr>
=================

At 04:36 PM 10/1/03 +0000, you wrote:
>Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:36:23 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Robert <rkscience100 at yahoo.com>
>Subject: [WikiEN-l] Stevertigo should not be allowed to write about
>         Jews
>To: wikien-l at wikipedia.org
...snip...
>3. [[David Irving]] is a much-maligned academic. He is a
>"young
>and talented writer," who has simply, and misguidedly tried
>to point out that post the second generation of Germans
>after the Holocaust "were no less victims of Hitler than
>the Jews were." Irving then wants "to bridge the gap
>between victor and victim."
>
>4. David Irving gave reasons why the numbers attached to
>the [[Holocaust]] could not be authentic. He repeats
>Irving's famous assertion: "more women died on the back
>seat of Edward Kennedy's car at Chappaquiddick than ever
>died in a gas chamber in Auschwitz."

-----------------------------
Here is the page history:
<http://en2.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=David_Irving&action=history>
-----------------------------

David Irving
(Revision as of 02:22, 21 Sep 2002)
< http://en2.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=David_Irving&oldid=674726>

David Irving (born 1938), historian well known for his Holocaust
revisionism. Among other things, he denies that the Germans exterminated
jews in Gas Chambers during World War II
-----------------------------

David Irving
(Revision as of 19:29, 16 Feb 2003)
<http://en2.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=David_Irving&diff=674731&oldid=674726>

David Irving (born 1938), historian well known for his Holocaust
revisionism. Among other things, he has denied that the Germans
exterminated jews in Gas Chambers during World War II. In a judgement by
the High court of Justice, Irving was found to be a Holocaust denier and an
"anti-Semite."

A forgiving view of David Irving might see him as; a conflicted, ambitious,
and talented, (albeit entirely misguided) young man, who tried to shake
off, instead of reconciling, the legacy of German shame for his its Nazi
past. He originally stirred up a hornets nest of very sensitive issues in a
sensationalistic and irresponsible way, and in the light of the aftermath;
the stinging controversy, the focused attacks upon his person, and
marginalized prospects for future academic acceptance.

Too quick to rush to the assertion of his premises. he published books,
perhaps originally with little understanding of the kind of backlash they
would cause. 'Bad press being good press', he continued to work under
conditions of ever-increased marginalization, and rejection by whatever
limited academic connections he had. His associations with racist or
quasi-racist groups, began in an attempt to seek support for his work,
while perhaps negotiating issues in a way that tried to reconcile disparate
facts and social elements.

Irving, however, often was neither courteous or tactful; nor in the least
bit considerate of the passionate anger his books, theories and comments
would face, and he often spoke quite "tastelessly." As he put it, :

"I don't see any reason to be tasteful about Auschwitz. It's baloney, it's
a legend. Once we admit the fact that it was a brutal slave labour camp and
large numbers of people did die, as large numbers of innocent people died
elsewhere in the war, why believe the rest of the baloney? ...I say quite
tastelessly, in fact, that more women died on the back seat of Edward
Kennedy's car at Chappaquiddick than ever died in a gas chamber in Auschwitz."

Criticism
The critics of Irving claim that his scholarship is poor, the substance in
his work trite, and its keen to make assumptions. In Richard Evans' Lying
About Hitler, London University Professor David Cannadine was quoted (Re:
Irving's first volume of his biography of Winston Churchill):

"It has received almost no attention from historians or reviewers...It is
easy to see why.... full of excesses, inconsistancies and omissions...
seems completely unaware of recent work done on the subject... It is not
merely that the arguments in this book are so perversely tendentious and
irresponsibly sensationalist. It is also that it is written in a tone which
is a best casually journalistic and at worst quite exceptionally offensive.
The text is littered with errors from beginning to end."

Richard Evans, himself, said: "Irving's conclusions were completely
untenable. I thought his scholarship was sloppy and unreliable and did not
meet even the most basic requirements of honest and competent historical
research."

Revisionism
In essence, the judgement of Irving and revisionism, by most historians is
that he and it represented a dubiously suspect middle ground between
outright Neo-Naziism and Legitimate historianism, in some attempt to
legitimize the Neo-Nazi movement. The general consensus on Irving, among
established historians, is that he was in far over his head, making the
typical mistake of amateur historians and scientists, of starting with a
premise, and seeking to prove it, instead of researching, and letting the
facts speak for themselves. This eventually led to his making academic
blunders, and to consequent public denouncements, and thus "revisionism"
was became a genre-of-sorts, sub-academia, attempting to tie together any
work that countered any previously established research into Nazi history,
as "revising" of history, and would attempt to include neo-Nazi racism in
the same category as thorough research that might challenge an established
fact.

Irvings "revisionism" centered around the idea that Hitler did not know in
any detail about the events of the Holocaust, and that the coordinated
actions by Nazis to murder 6 million Jews took place at some administrative
level, beneath the attention of Hiter himself. While it is true that
Hitler, was clever enough to sanitize records connecting him with the
concentration camps, the idea that the absolute dictator of a large, modern
country, having long-established political and administrative connections
and heirarchies althroughout Germany, Austria, and other Nazi occupied
areas, is highly suspect. There turns out to be very little paper evidence
indeed, of the administration of the Holocaust, regardless of any
connections to Hitler himself. Irving, his critics say, in order to accept
that Hitler knew of the holocaust, (disregarding, for the moment, any
direct role he may have had in its orchestration), would be, in essence,
saying that Hitler was only a benign figurehead. The evidence supports
otherwise.

Irving was someone who reacted defensively to sharp attacks of
anti-Semitism working with limited credentials - doing serious work, albeit
with little assistance and connection to familiar circles. Working with
limited evidence, such as the forgery of a "Last confession of Hitler", as
the partial basis for some of his work. Irving claims this as a defense,
that others have cited these false sources, and yet still recieve
legitimate attention, despite a flaw in their publication.

As the heated feelings about the Holocaust continue, but there has been
some recent academic consensus on an important Holocaust issue: That in the
late 1930's, Hitler had not yet planned to murder Jews of Europe, rather
had hoped to forcibly move them out of Europe entirely. Only later, the
theory says, after pressures from the war, did Hitler act to deliberately
murder millions of Jews. This idea is contradicted by the that fact that
the Nazis made prisons out of the Jewish ghettos, not allowing them to
leave en masse. It is supported by the fact that there was not yet any
devised way to kill and dispose of millions of people, in the camp furnaces.

Only more recently, and in the context of debunking Irving, who claimed
that it was impossible to incinerate and dispose of 6 million people, was
it discovered that the Nazis had calculated that human bodyfat, after
preheating, could provide the added fuel that would sustain the feasible
operation of the furnaces.

Irving v. Lipstadt
David Irving, in 1996, sued writer Deborah Lipstadt, and publisher Penguin
Books in the High Court of Justice for her book Denying the Holocaust, on
the claim of libel. The verdict in Irving v. Lipstadt was short:

14.1 It follows that there must be judgment for the Defendants.

This followed numerous court findings, including the counterclaims of his
"anti-Semitism", of his being a "Holocaust denier", and of his
misrepresentaton of fact in his books.

On the issue of Irving's anti-Semitism, Mr. Justice Gray of the Queen's