[WikiEN-l] Re: Giving up on Problem users page

Mirko Thiessen mt at mirko-thiessen.de
Wed Nov 12 21:43:18 UTC 2003

Viajero wrote:

> In recent weeks, I have contributed to several discussions on the Problem
> user page and I now have come to the conclusion that it is a thoroughly
> unsuitable mechanism for resolving issues between users. Whatever its
> original purpose was (dealing with vandalism I guess), it is now (also)
> used for airing complex grievances with other users about lack of
> neutrality, breaches of Wikiquette and so on.

The problem user page should be removed. It is totally out of control. There are
obviously some contributors who like to list fellow wikipedians as problem
users because of minor disagreement, revenge or dislike. Take for
example Szopen, who was listed there only because he listed someone
else before (the person who listed him afterwards). Of course Szopen
does not deserve to be listed as a problem user. The page contributes
to further poisoning of the atmosphere on the english Wikipedia. Some
users listed there are really hurt by the fact, that they appear in
that list. (And I don't know how I would have felt, if I was listed as
a problem user for many days.)

On the other hand there *are* some actually problematic users. But
every discussion about these users on the problem user page is
useless, since it seldom (virtually never) leads to any action. So
another way to deal with annoying users should be found. I don't know
how this way should be. If I would suggest to apply to the mailing
list instead of listing users on a problem user page, many people
around here would vigorously object. In some way I can
understand that, because there is the danger, that every minor quarrel
is brought up on the mailing list.

I would strongly recommend to replace the problem user page with a
simple message: "The possibility to list users as problem users is not
here anymore. Please try to settle your disagreement on the user's
talk page. If that does not help, contact an admin in order to ask for
mediation. In severe cases of abusive behaviour you may bring the case
up on the mailing list." Something like this.

Mirko (who made a partial retreat from his retreat, because he still
loves this project)