[WikiEN-l] Partial solution to rampant deletionism

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Fri Nov 7 21:03:07 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Q.  "Should I mass-import 20,000,000 census entries then?"
>A.  "Mass-importing is a different issue, which short circuits an important
>safeguard against trivia"

I disagree with this.  There is absolutely _no_ difference between
mass-importing thousands of articles and a person sitting down for weeks
mass-importing thousands of articles.  The only check the latter imposes
is "someone has to have too much free time to do this", which is not
much of a check at all: there's all sorts of crazy things people are
willing to spend time on that are quite trivial.  And there's all sorts
of important things people aren't willing to spend time on.

To pick a relevant example, I'd consider any of the six million people
who died in the Holocaust more encyclopedia-worthy than the ~3k that
died in the WTC attacks.  The fact that there are people with enough
spare time to mass-import the latter doesn't change this fact.

-Mark