[WikiEN-l] Rampant Deletionism

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Nov 6 13:07:18 UTC 2003

I will have to say that without endorsing every last detail of what he
said necessarily, I am firmly in agreement with Cunc on this one.

Rampant deletionism is not a good thing.  There's very seldom a good
reason to delete things.

Let me give an example: "Oviparous".  There is absolutely nothing
wrong with this article, and no excuse for it being listed on VfD.
(Of course, the vote is firmly against deleting.)

"Talossan language" -- a perfectly legitimate topic

"Cory Hall" -- this one did get redirected to U. Cal Berkeley, which
is absurd in my opinion.  This is a well-known building, it may
certainly have an article, even if the topic would not make it into
1.0.  When was it built?  What function does it serve?  Who was the
architect?  What famous things happened there?  All legitimate stuff.

--Jimbo