[WikiEN-l] Chiropractic medicine article and Zoe

Robert rkscience100 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 16 14:38:04 UTC 2003

Zoe <zoecomnena at yahoo.com> writes:
> RK has gone on a tirade against the [[Chiropratic]]
> article, and is trying to make it out to be a dangerous
> religious cult (yes, he has said that).

This is a distortion, and that I can only regard it as an
attempt to discredit me.  Grow up.  I made a number of
specific statements about medical science and history; your
problem is that you ignored the statements, and went on the
attack against me.

Zoe is angry because I added factual historical information
to this article that she is apparently embarassed by;
Chiropractic theory is an 18th century religious theory,
one of many created at that time which attempted to fuse
science and religion. (This is really not a shocking claim
for anyone read in this subject; this was a very common
phenomenon.)  According to the National Council Against
Health Fraud, both its beliefs and the way it indoctrinates
true believers fits the dictionary definition of a cult.
This is also how many medical doctors view the practice.
(Although I am not a medical doctor, I have taken a few
medical school classes with doctors.)

I did write that chiropractic medicine is considered to be
dangerous, and that it injures and kills some people every
year. That is a well-documented fact. Medical doctors and
scientists are aghast at the way that chirpracters injure
large numbers of people. I then backed this up with a large
list of medical citations about injuries and deaths.  Zoe's
response was to delete all of these facts. That action, I
hold, is a violation of our NPOV policy.

I also am bothered by the way that previous versions of the
article made no attempt to delineate between the
quasi-religious beliefs of chiropractic theory (which
attempts to treat many or all diseases by manipulating the
spine), and the legitimate medical art/science of spinal
manipulation, which restricts itself to treating a small
number of spinal problems through careful manipulation of
the spine.

I have already stated that I am willing to work with Zoe
and others, but we can't do any work as long as everything
new is ruthlessly deleted!

RK

=====
"I prefer a wicked person who knows he is wicked, to a righteous person who knows he is righteous".
The Seer of Lublin [Jacob Isaac Ha-Hozeh Mi-Lublin, 1745-1815]