[WikiEN-l] Recruits?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Mar 15 19:37:36 UTC 2003

Daniel Ehrenberg wrote:

> How could I tell people about wikipedia without sounding like a nerd?
> I'm trying to replace people's Warcraft addictions with Wikipeida
> (after all, which one is worse?) but everyone says, "That's so stupid!
> How are you addicted to an encyclopedia? You're a nerd!". What do I
> do? Is it wrong to try to get someone addicted to something?

Leaving aside issues related to the War on Drugs, being addicted to
something can be a positive characteristic for some people; for most
others, unfortunately,  it bears the hallmarks of escapism or even
obsessive-compulsive disorder.  Really great accomplishments in this
world are often the product of a passion, but so too is the devastation
of some of history's greatest arch-villains, and so too are the ravings
of lunatics.  Those who lack the passions are too fearful of the risks
posed by the villains and lunatics to encourage new creativity.

Epithets like "nerd" are too easily taken as insults when they really
shouldn't be.  Sometimes, when you consider the person who is trying to
insult you with it, you can even see it as praise.  It's understandable
that you would want to share your joys with your friends, but the risk
is that of sounding like a fundamentalist preacher who has Wikipedia in
his hand instead of the Bible.  Replacing someone else's addictions can
have unforseen consequences, since an addiction sometimes fulfills
certain psychological needs.  It requires understanding the other
person's addiction, and where they're coming from, or perhaps letting
them know when material has been posted to Wikipedia that would give
them an advantage in their Warcraft play.  But that requires at least
enough understanding of the game to be able to recognize such "quality"
information, or even drawing upon other material about this that is
already on the net.  You may even find that as a non-addict your
game-play standards may be much higher than that of many of the addicts
-- that could make you an excellent advisor.

Eclecticology