[WikiEN-l] RE: Oh No! Not another date format post!

Tom Parmenter tompar at world.std.com
Mon Mar 3 16:00:33 UTC 2003

Tannin, I do not like being called a Nazi.  It is not only thoughtless
and inaccurate, but it displays a rhetorical poverty that makes it
hardly worth the trouble of replying.

I wrote (or compiled) the bulk of the Manual of Style, which is a very
loose and simple one, based on a combination of general good practice
and what was already being done in the Wikipedia.

If you read the Manual of Style, it states clearly that writers (no
matter how bad tempered, illiterate or thoughtless) are not required
or expected to use it, but that others are likely to change what they
have written in the interests of clarity, consistency, and usability
and will use it.

People who like to do copy editing are also people who like
consistency.  Readers like it too.  The future of the Wikipedia is for
all articles to be copy-edited.  If the original authors take a little
care, then they will be copy-edited less.

Tom Parmenter
Ortolan88

|From: Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com>
|Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 04:38:24 -0800
|
|>By all means have the date articles named
|>whichever way is most desired. When I want to
|>link to a date, I'll write it whichever way makes
|>the link turn blue. But when I'm crafting the body
|>of an entry, I should hope I've got better things to
|>do with my mind than stuff about trying to
|>remember which particular order the Wikipedia
|>Style Guide Nazis are insisting on.
|>
|>Tony (Tannin)
|>
|>Tony Wilson
|>(Tannin)
|
|Do you have any idea - at all - how insulting it is to be equated with a group
|of thugs that are responsible for the deaths of 40-60 million people which
|included the genocide of 3/4 of all European Jews and millions of other
|"vermin" like Roma and homosexuals?

|Please think before you write.
|
|With that said, you should calm down and realize that what is being proposed
|would be no more mandatory than what we have now. I've already explained this
|on the talk page.

|-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)