[WikiEN-l] Perceived scientism just doesn't exist

Robert rkscience100 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 00:12:23 UTC 2003

First off, please stop using ad homenim attack-words like
"scientism"; this is grossly offensive to those of us who
use science to separate claims from facts.  If you want to
discuss a specific issue, please discuss the issue without
the words that show anger and fear of scientists.

Viajero writes:
> I realize that double-blind trials are the gold standard
> in Western science, and I don't want to argue with that;

Indeed; they are the gold standard in all forms of science.
Asians, Hispanics, Arabs, Jews, Blacks, and Whites all use
this method to verify claims. These peer-reviewed methods
are used in Eastern, near-Eastern and in Western countries.
In fact, there is nothing "western" about so-called
"western" medicine at all.

Sadly, the term "western" is often used as a perjorative
term by people who are advocating alternative health-care
techniques for profit, and who do not have proof that their
techniques work. "Alternative medicine" is no more
"eastern" than peer-reviewed medicine is "western".  The
only useful categories are these:

(A) There exists peer-reviewed data, duplicated by many
reseachers, that a claimed technique actually works.

(B) No such data exists, and we are expected to take
someone's word, or believe in anecdotes.

This isn't western or eastern. It is about facts versus a
charlatan taking your money.

> however, there vast realms of human knowledge which
> have not yet been verified by these means, and to
> dismiss such empirical knowledge out of hand is both
> foolish and not our job.

I totally agree; yet I have no idea why you believe such a
thing is happening here. Only among certain advocates of
alternative medicine do we find such closed minded
attitudes, with people dogmatically asserting that certain
things (i.e. western medicine) are bad and should not be
used.  In stark contrast, "western" doctors have always
been open to investigating new techniques and drugs.

Every day scientists from western countries scour nations
all across the globe to learn about traditional
fold-remedies, drugs and treatments. They constantly test
them in peer-reviewed studes to see if they actually work.
In fact, this is big business. I am totally flabbergasted
that you somehow have been led to believe the opposite.

The only problem is that some unhinged people like
Mr-Natural-Health get angry when their favored forms of
alternative quackery are proven to be fraudulent, if not
dangerous.  Then they start ranting about "western"
medicine in a nearly racist fashion.

So, sorry man, I can't agree with anything you said.

Robert (RK)