[WikiEN-l] RE: A plea for sanity in capitalisation from the coalface

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 10:20:03 UTC 2003

sannse wrote:
>I'm in agreement [with Tannin] here.  One of my own
>areas of interest, dog breeds, has a similar issue.
>So far the capitalised versions have (mostly) held
>here, but it would be nice to clarify the issue and be
>sure of a consensus.
>
>In the case of dog breeds, all my books on the subject
>(five) capitalise, as do the various kennel clubs.  I've been
>careful to check in each case - it's "Airedale Terrier" but
>"Maltese terrier" for example.  I would like to move
>"Chesapeake Bay retriever" back to "Chesapeake Bay
>Retriever" to follow this principle.

Dog breeds seem, as a rule, to be a special case. All the research I've done
has indicated that most dog breeds are /almost always/ capitalized whenever
they are written.

The only exceptions seem to be with the really well-known breeds. In fact I
spent an hour "fixing" the capitalization of the [[List of dog breeds]] page
only to find this out - it was darn difficult to find many sources that did
not capitalize the breeds. So I reverted myself.

But when you think about it the reason becomes fairly obvious ; dog breeds are
an invention of selective breeding with well-known pedigrees and historys
(almost like a family history). This is similar to the names scientists have
given to certain "breeds" of mice that have been selected for a specific
purpose.

That type of specificity turns what looks at first blush to be a common noun
into something that looks a lot like a proper noun.

Thus the capitalization.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)