[WikiEN-l] Larry's text on the "Knowledge" article

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Apr 18 13:36:27 UTC 2003

I apologize to everyone, had I read more closely, I would have
understood that we are discussing this page:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge

I certainly agree that the "Larry's text" portion of the article needs
to be moved and edited into encyclopedic form.  It's an informal set
of notes for a philosophy 101 lecture, not an encyclopedia article.

There isn't any particular "privileged" reason why it's there -- it's
a historical artifact of very early development.  It should be edited
or (probably) moved.

The point has been raised that Larry's discussion of "knowledge" is
centered around justified true belief, Gettier problems, and the like,
rather than a more broad discussion which might encompass Eastern
views and so on.  It seems that this portion of text might be salvaged
by formalization and by moving it to something like "Knowledge in
Analytical Philosophy".

(Note: I don't recommend that title, exactly, because I'm not sure
that 'analytical' is the right word.  I'm not a professional
philosopher!)

--Jimbo