[WikiEN-l] Using RachelCorrie's name as a user name - sickening

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Apr 17 12:46:00 UTC 2003

> I think that, without exception, all of the Rachel Corrie images need
> to go away.  They have not been released under the GNU GPL, and "fair
> use" for a single photograph like this is stretched.  We're trying to
> generally take a fairly strict stance on "fair use" issues.

The pictures in the Rachel Corrie article tell a story. Who is Rachel
Corrie? What was her motivation? What happened on the day she was killed?
We should avoid redundancy, but we should not unnecessarily remove content
out of copyright fear. The images that are there complement the article
nicely. Fair use of photos, especially of persons in the public interest,
is completely in line with our current image use policy. We should
continue to take a stance to avoid the "fair use" argument when someone is
likely to complain about our use of the photo. This is not the case here.

My proposal for a compromise is this: The User:RachelCorrie page and the
additional photos it includes should be deleted. It serves no purpose, and
the account is not used. One personal photo of Corrie can also be removed
from the Corrie article itself - currently we have three (one of which
shows Corrie veiled and therefore contributes to the story the photos
tell, but the other two just show Corrie in the US, which makes one of
them redundant). Other than that, the photos should stay as fair use until
someone complains or explicitly denies permission. BTW, we do have
permission to use several of the photos on the Corrie article -- click the
individual images for current permission status.

Regards,

Erik