[WikiEN-l] original research on wikipedia

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 13 05:58:55 UTC 2003

>As the Wikipedia policy doesn't allow posting of
>original research, I was wondering if there could be a
>seperate wiki for original reasearch. I'm just 13, and
>I obviously can't get my original research published,
>but I have done some inventing/research with new
>results, but not contradictory to known facts and
>studies. (I created a teaching method for algebra that
>worked on four out of four preschoolers and I'm
>creating a more efficient language that is completely
>regular and logical.) Nobody takes anything I do
>seriously, though. If there were a wiki for this, I
>could publish it instantaniously and it could still be
>edited for errors in inferences and analyses of data,
>in addition to the validity of the data itself.

I don't think an "original research wiki" would work, because people who
produce original research generally want the credit for it (or at least some
money). The lack of individual intellectual property is essential to the
WikiWiki structure. If you don't want any credit or return for your
research, I think you're in the minority.

The usual thing to do for someone like yourself is to publish your research
on a website, then publicise it through Usenet. Alternatively, you could
just be patient: develop your ideas, write a book, try to get it published
in maybe 5-10 years time. That way, if your ideas are any good, you might
make some money and get some recognition.

Zoe wrote:
>MIght this be an appropriate use for
>http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?

No, I don't think so. That same page says:

:Meta-Wikipedia is not a disposal site for uncorrectable articles from
:the different Wikipedias, and it is not a hosting provider for
:personal essays of all types. If you're looking for a wiki-based
:community, check out MeatballWiki's community list.

-- Tim Starling.