[WikiEN-l] blocking vandals

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Wed Apr 9 20:16:35 UTC 2003

We have many times discussed the idea of self-expiring (or temporary bans). That is the plan I have always favored. I think a 3-day or one-month ban on a problematic user has the potential to persuade them to "join us" rather than trying to "beat us".

Banning policy is 100% in the hands of Jimbo, the site owner. He apparently favors permanent bans. Since he has the ultimate responsibility for the project I hate to second-guess him; but I've made my views known.

I spend the bulk of my Wiki-time working on NPOV issues and trying to get my fellow contributors to work together in a spirit of harmony. I'm not sure how well I'm doing, but I occasionally get a thank-you on my talk page. ^_^

Ed Poor