[WikiEN-l] Streamline the sysop recruiting process

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Apr 8 22:38:00 UTC 2003

> Actually, sysops can query the server; they are limited to "read-only"
> queries, however.

Which is a bad thing until we set a timeout on queries. God knows how many
times the server has hung because of some out of control query.

> What I was suggesting was that some Wikipedians other than the Developers
> have the technical ability to:
> * grant "sysop rights" to users
> * block a signed-in vandal

1) As long as some sysop actions are hard to revert (delete page too long
to use, no log of page protections, no IP block expiry) we should keep the
sysop process controlled. It's OK if it takes a few days to appoint a new
sysop. But I agree that some kind of nomination/voting process would help.

2) Yes, but only for new users. Established users who have a track record
of valid contributions should only be bannable after a decree by Jimbo.

Regards,

Erik