[Mediawiki-l] markup extensions: wiki links

FreeAll Support support at freeall.org
Sun May 28 09:53:56 UTC 2006

Hello all!

I am currently making few markup extensions, and I noticed a problem:

Let's say my extension tries to type the same word but in pink. Well, what I
want is something like that:

Writing: "<pinky>Bla Bla [[something]]</pinky>"
Will give me "Bla Bla SOMETHING" where something is a link.
What I get instead is "Bla Bla [[something]]" with no link.

I should have seen it happening, but I still don't have a clue how to do it
otherwise.

I can use a replace function that makes "[[" a "<a href=...>" and "]]" a
"</a>", but it won't do well. All of the links will be blue (even if no
content is inside) and it won't handle well with typing mistakes as
"[[something]". And it's barbaric.

I just want to keep the wiki links as they are, just like the
"<big>[[something]]</big>" does. Can I imitate it somehow?

(main reason for me to do all this is to write an extension that replaces
all specific words within a text with wiki-linked expressions. i.e.:
"<makelinks>bla bla something bla bla</makelinks>" will return something
equal to "bla bla [[something]] bla bla".)

Any core functions I can include to do this?

Glad to hear any ideas!

Peleg.