[Mediawiki-l] Fwd: Translate/Rewrite beautified pretty ugly URLs-works except for special characters in article titles

Brian Carpenter hopespoppa at gmail.com
Fri May 5 12:49:39 UTC 2006

Good point, I guess I have been mixing two separate issues: I'll continue to

investigate IIS, ISAPI_Rewrite rules and translation of pretty URL's
elsewhere.

So what would cause my instance of MW to generate article links differently
for some special characters?  In my case, MW crafts the link to an article
containing a ( in the title with %28 to replace the "(". But MW doesn't
replace "." with "%2E" or replace "/"s with ""%2F" when creating links.

My instance created both links below:

Example1 ( MW doesn't encode "/"s when creating the link)
Article title "Meeting of 02/22/06"
http://mysite.com/wiki/index.php?title=Meeting_of_02/22/06

Example2 (MW encodes "(" and ")" to %28 and %29)
Article title "Integration Assistant (IA)"
http://mysite.com/wiki/index.php?title=Integration_Assistant%28IA%29

Thanks again for your patience,
Brian