[Mediawiki-l] Re: help!

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Mon Jan 16 19:21:40 UTC 2006

> From: Elisabeth Freeman <beth_spam at mac.com>
>
> I just upgraded from Mac OS X 10.4.3 to 10.4.4, and my Media Wiki
> stopped working.  Argghhh!  I can't live without it.

I know the feeling! I just went through the same thing. A dozen
websites, most unrelated to MediaWiki -- none of them working!

Apple "thoughtfully" changed where PHP looks for the localhost socket
to MySQL.

Others have suggested making a symbolic link between where MySQL's
socket actually is and where PHP is looking for it. I think this is a
messy solution that will probably break again in some future update.

The solution is to get them to agree on where the socket is. You can
easily do this in the configuration files of either program. Since
PHP is the bad guy here, and MySQL was just minding its own business,
I chose to "fix" what Apple "broke" via /etc/php.ini:

patch <<-DONE
	668c668
	< mysql.default_socket =
	---
	> mysql.default_socket = /tmp/mysql.sock
DONE

If you might be upgrading to MacOS X Server at some point, it might
be better to change /etc/my.cnf instead, since that is now how MySQL
is configured from Apple. And perhaps the official MysQL
distributions will be changed to reflect that at some point.

It has also been suggested to change the client to use "127.0.0.1"
instead of "localhost". This technique will use the network
interface, rather than a socket, and will be slower and use more
system resources, although perhaps not noticeably so.

Thanks, Apple.

:::: If you aren't doing incremental development, you're gonna get
excremental results. ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, Bytesmiths http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van ::::