[Mediawiki-l] Source code for en.wikipedia.org?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Oct 12 20:45:43 UTC 2005

Lili Wu wrote:
> There are some very nice features on http://en.wikipedia.org, like
> the different template or the customized special pages (like the
> Search page which lists the search results in a different fashion,
> and the UserLogin page which has a prettier UI).  Since I'm new to
> wiki and php, and really like the enhancement done on wikipedia.org,
> is there a way I can look at the customized source code for
> wikipedia.org or other wiki projects like wikinews?  I am not
> experienced enough to reinvent the wheel...

There are various template and UI tweaks in the wiki itself, you can see
these via Special:Allmessages.

We have a number of custom extensions installed, which should be
available along with the other stuff in our CVS:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/wikipedia/extensions/

The search is a completely different system; the code for the search
server is in CVS, but it is not ready for use unless you are developing
it and the crushing weight of millions of hits per day are crushing your
MySQL fulltext search into smithereens and you have no choice but to run
the experimental system with updates disabled in the meantime because
the update daemon still needs to be fixed up.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)