[Mediawiki-l] How to configure synchronization of 2 instances

Laurent CHASTEL lchastel at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 31 17:18:36 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have implemented mediawiki to manage documentation on development rules
and source code management tools usage from my firm.
All users find it very usefull and simple to use and easy to make
modifications on articles.

We have now a new office in another country. We have a VPN between the 2
locations but the bandwith is to small. The users in the new office find
borring to use wiki (20 secondes to display a page against instant display
in "old" office)

I would like to have 2 instances of mediawiki on 2 servers, to synchronize
them and to allow users to make modification on both instances.
For php scripts and uploaded files, I have the solution, but I don't have
one for database.

We have a server A (located in old office) and a server B (located in new
office), both of them are complete webserver (L.A.M.P.)
Users from the old office are connected to A, Users from the new one to B.
Users make modification on A, they are transfert to B ("simple" master/slave
replication in mysql).
But if users modify something on B ... it's not transfered (mysql don't have
master/master replication).

Is there a way to redirect mysql queries according to their type in
mediawiki : select on B(slave) and insert/update/delete on master(A) ?
(mysql replication is used to push modification for A to B)

Perhaps, the solution implemented to wikipedia is the one I need.
Could you explain it ?

Best regards,
Laurent

PS1 : I tryed a solution with cache Turck MMCache and mediawiki on B that
connect to the database on A. The time to display a page is of 10s.
PS2 : Sorry for the long mail ...
PS3 : Soon ;)