[Mediawiki-l] Trying to get dynamic content on a page

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Sun Mar 13 16:53:20 UTC 2005

On 13 Mar 2005, at 03:27, Mike wrote:

> The extension does not get called because the browser has cached it
> locally. The content is no longer dynamic. Is there anything I can do
> on the server side to cause the browser to not use its cached version?
> The extension looks like a nice feature accept it can't deliver
> dynamic content.

Ah, you must be new here!

There are a number of us who are lobbying heavily for some sort of
cache control mechanism. See the recent archives.

To paraphrase Brion (correct me if I'm wrong), there are several caches
operating at different levels, and there is no simple way to provide
dynamic content in an editable page.

The solutions I've seen proposed is 1) make your dynamic content a
Special page, or 2) have pages conditionally set a "no cache flag" when
saved, then add spaghetti code throughout the known universe to do
different things based on this bit.

:::: The light at the end of the tunnel is a man with a flashlight
yelling, "Go back! Go back!" -- Sol Stein
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>