[Mediawiki-l] Extracting simple wiki data from an HTML page

Tony Wilson mediawiki at redhill.net.au
Tue Jun 28 11:03:35 UTC 2005

Is there a simple way to extract basic data from a MediaWiki install from
*outside* the main scripts?

For example, suppose you need to have an ordinary static HTML page, but have it
access the current NUMBEROFARTICLES from the wiki. (This is for a situation
where the wiki is part of a larger site, not the entire site in itself.
Something along the lines of "while you are here, check out our wiki, which has
NUMBEROFARTICLES articles".)

Obviously, the page would need a little bit of PHP code to do this - which
doesn't sound difficult in itself - but I am unsure of what I'd need to do to
persuade the MediaWiki scripts that it OK to provide this information.

Thanks for any help,

Tony