[Mediawiki-l] Forum software (e.g. phpBB or similar) integration to replace talk pages

Muzaffer Ozakca mozakca at indiana.edu
Sat Jun 4 01:17:05 UTC 2005

I've been trying to integrate phpBB with mediawiki. But I'm not trying
to tie talk pages to forums.

I made some progress... towards a mess. I looked at phpBB, smf, useBB,
and some others. The thing is their codes are very similar, they all
keep a sessions table to show who is logged in, etc. There are other
simpler ones, too. Compared to MW, they might be good cases for bad
software design and coding.

Here's what I got.

== When a user is created in MW, user tables of phpBB are updated.
Basically a user with the same user name is added to the phpbb user table.
== phpBB checks mediawiki cookies and makes the user in the MW cookie
log in automatically by setting some internal structures. Of course,
sessions are not easily sharable so there are problems here. For
example, if a session expires for a user, cookies will still be there.

There might be security issues, too. I'm not planning to integrate it
fully into MW code, I will put phpBB in a resizable frame on a wiki
page. Then make it look like monobook by playing with layout and css. I
took a similar approach -iframes- for an event calendar that works
somewhat OK.

As I said, my goal is not replacing talk pages but give my users a
separate forum.