[Mediawiki-l] character replacement/search URL template

Jonathan Elsas jelsas at email.unc.edu
Thu Jan 27 20:07:29 UTC 2005

Hi -- I'd like to create a template something like:

[http://www.google.com/search?q={{{1}}} {{{1}}}]

so that a link is created, linking to a search for that word (or
phrase).  this works great when the term is a single word, but when it
a phrase I'm getting behavior like this:

in the article, I have
	{{search|one two}}

and it is rendered

title="http://www.google.com/search?q=one">one two one</a>

so, the text that shows up in the link is "two one two".  I'd like the
text to be "one two" and the search string parameter in the URL to be
"one+two".  Is there a way to replace a space with a '+' in a template
parameter?

thanks,
Jon