[Mediawiki-l] Blocking users/deleting users/IP?

Erik Hermansen erikh at caravelgames.net
Fri Jan 7 00:22:05 UTC 2005

At 06:29 PM 1/6/2005 -0500, Lisa Jill wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>I had a user register on my wiki (eewiki.com) and spam it with links.
>I went to block this user but it wants their IP - I have no idea how
>to find that information out from the wiki.

Also, I did a scan through the database tables, thinking "this ought to be
tracked in MediaWiki someplace".  But it doesn't seem to me that MediaWiki
tracks the IP addresses of logged-in users.  If you aren't logged in then
it will record your IP address in place of your username, which is good,
but not useful for getting IPs of logged-in people.

In the RecentChanges table there is an IP address field, but on my
installation the column is empty of values.  Perhaps in the future it will
hold IP addresses for all recent edits, and then you could easily see who
is trashing your wiki.  But who knows?  (Brion Vibber--that's who!)

-Erik