[Mediawiki-l] 1.4.9 Upgrade glitches with MediaWiki namespace

David J. Biesack David.Biesack at sas.com
Tue Aug 30 13:09:25 UTC 2005

I'm upgrading from 1.4.5 to 1.4.9 and have a small glitch.

In my navigation bar, I've added two entries in the array $wgNavigationLinks

   array( 'text'=>'IndexLabel', 'href'=>'Index-url' ),
   array( 'text'=>'Recentchanges-rss', 'href'=>'Recentchanges-rss-url' ),

and I've defined pages:

 MediaWiki:IndexLabel ==> Index
 MediaWiki:Index-url  ==> saspedia:Index
 MediaWiki:Recentchanges-rss  ==> RSS
 MediaWiki:Recentchanges-rss-url ==> saspedia:RSS

 I've defined the pages saspedia:Index and saspedia:RSS (my MediaWiki installation is named "saspedia") but the navigation bar renders incorrectly as:

     * Main Page
     * Community portal
     * <IndexLabel>
     * Current events
     * Recent changes
     * Random page
     * <Recentchanges-rss>
     * Help

instead of reading the messages correctly. This renders correctly in my 1.4.5 wiki but not with 1.4.9

Note: These new MediaWiki namespace entries do not show up in Special:Allmessages; should they?

I looked at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#How_do_I_change_the_contents_of_the_navigation_toolbar.3F and I've cleared the browser cache etc. and I can't see what is wrong.

A related problem occurs with a button I've added to the edit toolbar. In EditPage.php I added (after the button_italic definition) the following

    array(   'image' => 'button_tt.png',
             'open'  => "\\<tt\\>",
             'close' => "\\</tt\\>",
             'sample'=> wfMsg('tt_sample'),
             'tip'   => wfMsg('tt_tip'),
             'key'   => 'T'
    ),

I've defined  MediaWiki:Tt_sample and MediaWiki:Tt_tip pages; i.e. my MediaWiki_Tt_tip page contains

  Typewriter (fixed width) text

but the toolbar tip says

  <tt_tip>

instead. The other toolbar tips (Bold text, Italic text, etc.) work as expected.
The tt button action works as expected; i.e. it will embed the selection
in <tt>...selection...</tt>. However, if nothing is selected, it inserts the
wrong sample:

      <tt><tt_sample></tt>

instead of <tt>Fixed width (monospace) text</tt>

which is what I expect: MediaWiki:Tt_sample contains "Fixed width (monospace) text".

--
David J. Biesack     SAS Institute Inc.
(919) 531-7771       SAS Campus Drive