[Mediawiki-l] Non-root installation

James Reed jareed at jamesarthurreed.org
Tue Mar 30 05:03:45 UTC 2004

Brion Vibber wrote:
> MySQL's concept of users is completely separate from the underlying
operating
> system, which tends to confuse the issue when they've got a main account
> called "root". :P The MySQL root user can create and delete databases,
> kill running queries by any user, etc.

I understand now. No, I do not have access to the MySQL "root" account, but
my usage of my database is near absolute: I can do anything I want with it
except exceed the 100MB storage limitation.

Brion Vibber wrote:
> If you don't have root access to the database, you should first make
> sure that you have an empty database and permission to create and
> alter tables in it. If you have existing tables in this database, make
> sure none of the names conflict with MediaWiki's tables (check the table
> definitions in maintenance/tables.sql)

Done. I have several other scripts installed that use the database, but the
table prefixes that they use are unique so I do not expect there to be any
problems.

I'll let you know how the install went after I make the time to do it.
Thanks for all the help.

~ James Reed