[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki 1.2.0rc4 release candidate

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Mar 17 19:44:53 UTC 2004

Daniel Milne wrote on March 15:
> I'm trying to figure out the upgrade procedure. I'm currently running
> mediawiki-1.2.0rc3 and would like to upgrade to rc4.
> My setup is such that $wgScriptPath is set to /wiki, and /wiki is a sym
> link to mediawiki-1.2.0rc3.
>
> I've copied LocalSettings.php and AdminSettings.php to the rc4
> directory. Trying to run the update.php from either the web browser or
> command line results in:
>
> php update.php
> Can't use command-line utils with in-place install yet, sorry.
>
> What's the correct way to do this update?

For the moment, the way to do an update with an in-place install is:

* decompress the new version in a fresh directory (or over the existing
directory, and move the old LocalSettings.php out of the way for now)
* run the setup, giving it the same info as before (same database etc)

The in-place install will make any necessary changes to the database
structure if it recognizes there's already a database there.

I realize this isn't 100% ideal... it should be refined in upcoming
point releases.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)