[Mediawiki-l] adding_links_to_navigation_menu

Plamen Gradinarov plamen at orientalia.org
Tue Dec 28 07:02:39 UTC 2004

Kate Turner wrote:

>Creating the messages under the MediaWIki: namespace (e.g.
>[[MediaWiki:Foo-url]]) works fine, and again won't break when you
>upgrade and overwrite the language file.

Except for that probably rare case when you need to "upgrade" to the
last current dump, or simply use the wiki dumps starting with the
24.12.04. Then you will have big trouble. Either the Current text of the
MediaWiki:Allmessages should be exported to a separate table (better
written to a file called CurrentSettings.php) and then used as source to
override the newly imported messages, or one should have all one's
changes made in the LanguageXX.php and after the import of the last cur use
# php rebuildMessages.php --update

I have also noticed that in the last cur_table dump {{SITENAME}} has
been changed to "Wikipedia", and some new HTML tags do not work anymore,
which is another reason to revisit carefully the Current text portion of
the MediaWiki:Allmessages.

Best regards,
Plamen

PS. Sorry for my previous message, I have misread navigation links for
browsebar links.