[Foundation-l] Controversial content software status - the image filter disguised under a new label

Fae faenwp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 21:43:39 UTC 2012

Andreas,

I am not going to express an opinion on the case you reference, this is
still a hot debate, particularly on Commons, and I do not believe there is
a stable consensus yet. I certainly have no personal interest in being
continually dragged into penis wars or be forced to read criminal
allegations about contributors, though had I not been maliciously harassed
by an off-wiki group you are associated with, I might have been a Commons
administrator at this point and had more useful influence on these policy
related issues.

The question is more complex and contentious than I find email is a
suitable medium for, and any way forward must cater for how our
international projects can collaborate on policies that protect free speech
(under a USA definition) and enable continued free access for the widest
possible educational good in as many countries as possible. I have already
proposed you take advantage of our UK open a board meetings to talk openly
with us about collaborating on how the Wikimedia community can work
positively on this area, such as encouraging positive debate to mature the
Commons community and policies. I suggest you prepare for that by talking
the issues over with the Wikimedia UK CEO.

We are listening and remain open, I hope you can approach this subject with
a similar frame of mind, realizing that such change will only happen
slowly. It would help discussion if those involved could avoid the drama
of inflammatory attacks or fueling those whose main interest appears to be
destruction rather than improvement in their ambitions to make a name for
themselves by tilting at the WMF or, far worse, the open movement itself.

Thanks,
Fae