[Foundation-l] ACTA analysis?

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 02:33:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> ..
>
> One does well to follow Michael Geist's blogs on this
> [http://www.michaelgeist.ca/ here].  He has been on top of this issue since
> it started, and provides links to developments on his left sidebar.
>
> ACTA is probably more damaging outside the US than within because it imposes
> US views in other countries without any of the due process that would
> normally be available to US persons. The entire agreement is a trade
> agreement which only happens to have copyright as a major content element.
> It seeks to protect the interests of American business.  By framing the
> issues in terms of "trade" and "enforcement", it ignores how seriously
> fucked-up copyright law has become.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120124/14071517529/new-petition-asks-white-house-to-submit-acta-to-senate-ratification.shtml

33,765 votes so far.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/end-acta-and-protect-our-right-privacy-internet/MwfSVNBK

If I understand correctly, Obama has issued an executive order
approving ACTA, but that executive order is suppressed as a state
secret.  And the administration hasnt given it a number because there
are no gaps in the numbering of Obama's EO list..?

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Barack_Obama/Executive_orders

And in the EU,

'Kader Arif, the "rapporteur" for ACTA, has quit that role in disgust
over the process behind getting the EU to sign onto ACTA.'

http://www.blogrunner.com/snapshot/D/3/3/european_parliament_official_in_charge_of_acta_quits_and_denounces_the_masquerade_behind_acta/

--
John Vandenberg