[Foundation-l] A fundraiser for editors

Przykuta przykuta at o2.pl
Mon Jan 2 21:24:54 UTC 2012

> The fundraiser for money has been working exceedingly well with our
> number of donors increasing 10 fold since 2008. What we need now is a
> fundraiser for editors. I meet well educated professionals who use
> Wikipedia but have no ideas that they can edit it. We need to run a
> banner with the same energy we use to raise money to raise editor
> numbers. This idea has been trialed to a limited extent here
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Invitation_to_edit but the
> effort did not have sufficient data crunching behind it to determine
> if it works.

Data in the file from 2011-01-26 is not too good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ENnewEditors.jpg

Look at December 2011 -> in the file <7k, on the site >7k:

http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediaEN.htm

Nov 2011 = 6734 now. These stats are not stable - last month is always the worst.

But invitation to edit is good idea. In pl wiki it works well. The last edition (http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:10_prac_na_10_lat_Wikipedii invitation by anonnotice only) gave us in July 2011 more active editors:

http://www.wikistatistics.net/wiki/pl/activeusers/365

Compare with ja, it, nl, sv, ru or es wikis

http://www.wikistatistics.net/wiki/ja/activeusers/365

http://www.wikistatistics.net/wiki/it/activeusers/365

http://www.wikistatistics.net/wiki/nl/activeusers/365

http://www.wikistatistics.net/wiki/sv/activeusers/365

http://www.wikistatistics.net/wiki/ru/activeusers/365

http://www.wikistatistics.net/wiki/es/activeusers/365

These actions work well for a month. We ask readers for improve articles (the quest must be specific -> What do we need to do / how could you help us)

Przykuta