[Foundation-l] 86% of german users disagree with the introduction of the personal image filter

Yann Forget yannfo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 16:44:07 UTC 2011

2011/9/18 Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Oliver Koslowski <o.nee at t-online.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 18.09.2011 13:56, schrieb Andre Engels:
>> > On itself the one who tags the image, but we happen to have a system for
>> > that in Wikimedia. It is called discussion and trying to reach consent.
>> Who
>> > decides whether a page is in a category? Who decides whether a page has
>> an
>> > image? Who decides whether something is decribed on a page? All the same.
>>
>> Our typical system of categories is designed to make it easier to /find/
>> (related) articles or media. Good luck trying that with a system that is
>> designed to /hide/ things.
>
> I don't see a difference. I want to show images showing so-and-so, or I do
> not want to see them. It's all about saying whether images show so-and-so.

Then we have a problem, because these are completely different things.

>> And this doesn't seem like an awful waste of
>> precious time to you? For a feature that is not all that likely to be
>> popular on a global scale?
>
> It depends. If people want to do it, it is their choice how to use their
> volunteering time. If they don't, then bad luck to those using the feature.

This seems at best to be written without a real thought on the practical thing.

Take any controversial subject, being nudity or Muhammad.
If people do not want to see the images, I doubt very much that they
will review them to add categories.
If people don't care about seeing the images, I also doubt that they
will spend time adding catergories.
Then who would add categories for the filter? Go figure...

> I do agree that there are dozens of things in Wikipedia/Wikimedia/Mediawiki
> that I'd rather see; I chose the secon-lowest rating in the referendum, and
> might well have chosen the lowest had I not expected that to be understood
> as "I am against this". I do think there are many better things to do with
> our time and other means.
>
> --
> André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com

Regards,