[Foundation-l] [Wikinews-l] The systematic and codified bias against non-Western articles on Wikinews

Neil Babbage neil at thebabbages.com
Wed Sep 7 13:55:17 UTC 2011

The projects will always have some crossover (or grey areas if you
prefer) because they present the same information, just in different
ways. For example, a textbook (Wikibooks) presents the same information
as an encyclopedia but in a more inclusive way. That is, it tries to
present all the information on a subject, not link out to other books in
the WP style. It is also worded in a more "conversational" style. The
Wikinews / Wikipedia crossover is obvious. A news event is reported by
Wikinews, usually as a synergy of other news sources and it evolved as
difering source speculation turns to consensual fact. Eventually the
story becomes static and if it remains noteworthy it should then form
the solid basis for a Wikipedia article.

This of course relates only to "events" not places or people. By that I
mean if Osama is killed then of course the article about Osama is
updated with the news of his death. But the news report itself is better
started in Wikinews until it "stabilises" and only then becomes an
article in itself in WP assuming it has the relevant significance.

In an ideal world all news events would start on Wikinews this way, but
that'll never happen so it's more a question of encouraging that kind of
behaviour while accepting the world isn't perfect, isn't it?